closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Bremont - what have they done?

Hybrid View

To be fair TAM has always jumped on anything negative that was said about Bremont, to the point I believed at one time he was working for them in a non-technical capacity.
    It’s interesting he has even taking the fight to former employees. Even if they are (both?) disgruntled, there is usually a reason if 2 watch enthusiasts leave a company.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    To be fair TAM has always jumped on anything negative that was said about Bremont, to the point I believed at one time he was working for them in a non-technical capacity.
    It’s interesting he has even taking the fight to former employees. Even if they are (both?) disgruntled, there is usually a reason if 2 watch enthusiasts leave a company.
    I've addressed this already. I joined after 15 years in oil and gas for a new challenge. Took a big pay cut, enjoyed my time there, had input into a lot of things as a WIS I never imagined I would, didn't like the direction things were going during covid, left to go back to my previous employer.
    The only thing I am disgruntled about is how former employees (excluding me) were treated by new management and the direction the company is now taking.
    I agree with you on TAM, I'm almost sure that he and possibly some others on different forums were paid by Bremont to keep a clean image on internet forums.
    Last edited by MrBanks; 25th April 2024 at 11:46.

Interesting perspective. As 'sweets' has just commented, for some unknown reason there have been a lot of Bremont haters on here and as I like the brand, yes, for the most part I would defend them. I liked the fact that they were British, supported a British workforce, I liked quite a number of their watches and I liked that they were pushing the idea of bringing more manufacturing into the UK. That was primarily under the lead of the founders. Unfortunately things seem to have now changed and if you watch my posts as you purport to do then you will have seen that I'm less supportive of the current brand direction and range.

as it happens there are a number of other watches I like from other brands. Christopher Ward (JasH Bel Canto in particular, just a shame it was so limited), UN, Breguet, Farer etc.

as far as I'm aware, I haven't 'taken the fight' to any former employees and commented on MrBanks posts for reasons that I've explained in this thread.

MrBanks doesn't come across as disgruntled, much less as bitter, but more as someone who has seen how the sausage is made.

If it's any consolation Smiths watches were a loss-making operation all through the 1950s and '60s. Plus ca change.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post

If it's any consolation Smiths watches were a loss-making operation all through the 1950s and '60s. Plus ca change.
    And look how that worked out for them…

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    And look how that worked out for them…
    What, in 50 years' time Timefactors will be making them? Well, I guess that's kind of already happened: the new Bremonts carry the name but not much, if any, of the DNA. Perhaps Eddie's Smiths are closer to originals, at least in spirit, than these

I never much cared for Bremont's actual offerings but I wished them well in their aim of bringing watchmaking back to the UK. Seems like that ain't gonna happen now.

What's happened at Bremont is a symptom of a wider malaise. Things have changed since 2010 -- heck, since 2020. The watch market is definitely softening. It's not a South Sea bubble bursting, nor Tulip Fever breaking -- I'm not expecting a crash -- but unsustainable prices and, in the longer term, dodgy demographics, mean that the high has peaked.

Imho the days of watches as good investments are over. Buy what what you like and will wear but don't expect them to be appreciating assets.

Bremont - what have they done?

Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    MrBanks doesn't come across as disgruntled, much less as bitter, but more as someone who has seen how the sausage is made.

It was probably poorly worded. What I meant was that TAM had implied before that he was disgruntled and I was making the point that even if both him and Gary were, the fact that 2 obvious watch enthusiasts had left was a sign in itself.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.