closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Let's hear it for IWC

Hybrid View

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    I understood what you meant but don’t know what UR standards for?

… or is it some sort of slang ?

Comes from the ancient city of 'Ur' in Mesapotamia. It means 'original'. It started out as a German usage, but it now appears more widely in lots of academic contexts, eg 'Urtext' is a music or literary edition that goes back to the original manuscript or first published edition and strips away all changes and additions made by later editors. 'Ursprache' in German is an original language - typically one lost in time, leaving only common traces in more modern ones - such as the ancient common ancestor of Sanskrit and other Indo-European languages/language families. I would say anyone familar with this would have got the sense 'urwatch' - it's quite a nice coinage I think!
    Last edited by kk; 1st April 2024 at 16:15.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kk View Post
    Comes from the ancient city of 'Ur' in Mesapotamia. It means 'original'. It started out as a German usage, but it now appears more widely in lots of academic contexts, eg 'Urtext' is a music or literary edition that goes back to the original manuscript or first published edition and strips away all changes and additions made by later editors. 'Ursprache' in German is an original language - typically one lost in time, leaving only common traces in more modern ones - such as the ancient common ancestor of Sanskrit and other Indo-European languages/language families. I would say anyone familar with this would have got the sense 'urwatch' - it's quite a nice coinage I think!
    Thanks, I have learned something today. 👍

Master
    I’m glad someone explained.. I’d mistakenly thought it was a typo and was referencing B-Uhr or something!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by kk View Post
    Comes from the ancient city of 'Ur' in Mesapotamia. It means 'original'.
    Is this Ur Kasdim, the city which is biblical Abraham came from?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexL View Post
    Is this Ur Kasdim, the city which is biblical Abraham came from?
    In biblical reference, Ur of the Chaldeans. Yes, I believe it's the same place.

My triple:

Am now jonesing for a Portugieser panda automatic. But I must stick to the rule of three...

Craftsman
    My tan strap arrived yesterday from ukwatchstrap.co.uk. I couldn't bring myself to pay some of the prices I got quoted elsewhere, and on the flip side this was nearly too cheap so I didn't have high hopes about the quality. However, very happy with it, especially for the money. I'm a big fan of a tan strap, and I think it works very well with the green dial. I will see how wear it wells over the coming months.

Master
    that looks great with the green dial