closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 359 of 361 FirstFirst ... 259309349357358359360361 LastLast
Results 17,901 to 17,950 of 18013

Thread: More bike related stuff

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    Well, I have my theory booked for Monday, CBT on Wednesday and just had a CB125R delivered from Honda.

Grand plan is re-skill myself on the road and with the gears (used to commute on a 125 scooter for years, about 15yrs ago) get some lessons on a bigger bike then aim for full license by end of July-ish.

(Then swap CB125 for the 750 TransAlp and ride to Almeria. Because!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Go for it - that’s a fair trek - had the TA for a couple of days and enjoyed it - seat was much more comfortable than my T7
    Untitled by biglewie, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Good for you!

If you haven't already taken the "hazard awareness" computer bit (whatever it is called) - be careful of noticing the hazards too early. People who have driven a lot - tend to see the hazards way before they expect a novice rider to do so. You can score low because of that.

Almeria - that's a fair old trek !!

Good luck!
    Ha!
    Yeh, got the online thing from DVSA, did about 100 of the hazard identification vids yesterday.
    I was failing the first lot constantly due to early noticing (I am an advanced driver with the IAM so it seemed really obvious - but is designed for newbies).

Had to teach myself to identify them when it expects me to (late, lol) - but seem to have the measure of it now.

Did a load of mock theory and hazards tests later yesterday and passed them all once I had the trick for the videos, so no dramas.

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    Go for it - that’s a fair trek - had the TA for a couple of days and enjoyed it - seat was much more comfortable than my T7
    Untitled by biglewie, on Flickr
    Mega! Been thinking about it for years. Drove it last summer, lovely few days

Out of interest - I plotted a non-peage rout from Calais………

Could be a leisurely 5 day jaunt.

I see a Team TZ continental ride out on the horizon!

Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    Well, I have my theory booked for Monday, CBT on Wednesday and just had a CB125R delivered from Honda.

Grand plan is re-skill myself on the road and with the gears (used to commute on a 125 scooter for years, about 15yrs ago) get some lessons on a bigger bike then aim for full license by end of July-ish.

(Then swap CB125 for the 750 TransAlp and ride to Almeria. Because!)
    Soiunds great, and good luck. If you do the Almeria trip, have a look at Aguadulce for somewhere to stay.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    I don`t know why BMW keep persisting with a `custom` model - they`ve never got it right.
    The R1200C was never a big seller, the R18 was/is somewhat a sales disaster and now this hideous mish-mash.
    In fact it`s not just BMW, virtually all custom-styled bikes from all manufacturers are awful.
    They keep building them because it’s a global market. Just because in the Uk something doesn’t sell doesn’t mean to say worldwide it doesn’t sell. If they don’t make money on something it will soon be dropped from the range.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post
    They keep building them because it’s a global market. Just because in the Uk something doesn’t sell doesn’t mean to say worldwide it doesn’t sell. If they don’t make money on something it will soon be dropped from the range.

Nathan is taking a R18 full dresser across a section of the states currently. More used to 125- 450cc adventure bikes his opening line is he dislikes the bike! Heavy slow expensive and the suspension crashes over bumps. His objective is to see if dislike changes to like over two weeks.

https://youtu.be/w72osBxIY2o?si=jr44o2YZRK83sAwi

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Nathan is taking a R18 full dresser across a section of the states currently. More used to 125- 450cc adventure bikes his opening line is he dislikes the bike! Heavy slow expensive and the suspension crashes over bumps. His objective is to see if dislike changes to like over two weeks.

https://youtu.be/w72osBxIY2o?si=jr44o2YZRK83sAwi
    Would be interesting.

I spotted a delivery mileage pre reg fully loaded one that lists at £25,700 and the dealer has it up at £15k. Clearly not moving.

Master
    Fitted some bling to the Bobton today.
    Ever since my foot caught the ground and broke my tib and fib, I have to admit I’m a bit nervous when leaning over, and I definitly can’t afford for it to happen again, so anything I can do to gain some ground clearance has to be a move in the right direction.

Enter Raisch, a German custom parts supplier. They do a suspension link that raises the rear of the bike. I shall be raising the front by utilising the speed twin forks which are longer than the bobber forks.

Looks like a needle-bearing in one end?

It’s non-rotating, I’d expect plain bushing (or cushion sleeve like other end).

Master
    The standard one also had a needle bearing in one end. And a sleeve which you reuse in the new one🤓

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    The standard one also had a needle bearing in one end. And a sleeve which you reuse in the new one邏
    Yeah- often used for rocking applications, but I'd have thought there was very little motion at all - there.

But - Triumph ain't gonna make a mistake with it.

Master
    I'm getting tuned in to the Speed Twin now. It's definitely a feel-good bike, and (for me) best suited to a bimble around the lanes, with the occasional A road thrown in.

Here it is, outside the Great British Pub of the Year, 2023/24.

Master
    Little ride out to a new cafe today. Highly recommended open Thurs, Fri, Sat and Sun. Bluebell Park Cafe. SY21 0EY

The black pudding was excellent.邏

The petrol station was busy.

Blog Entries
    Little ride out to a new cafe today. Highly recommended open Thurs, Fri, Sat and Sun. Bluebell Park Cafe. SY21 0EY

The black pudding was excellent.邏

Double yolk!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Double yolk!
    Well spotted. I missed that, but then again it wasn’t on the plate long enough for me to see it😀

All I managed was new bearings on R-1 wheel, and a sore back…….

Master

More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    How many of you TZ bikers are only running one bike?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeap , looked at selling but hasn’t happened and I haven’t really looked at anything new to replace it. Maybe next year or I simply buy another bike to go with this one!! :)

Last edited by Stilgoe1972; 27th April 2024 at 22:04.

Nice day in the shed today, stripped and cleaned front and rear brakes, new shows etc. Put the wheels back on the bike as I find it easier to work on and manoeuvre, I will give them a proper clean up when they come back off for tyres. Next thing will be to refit the wiring harness with the correct routing.

Master
    Well spotted. I missed that, but then again it wasn’t on the plate long enough for me to see it
    You will need an extra extra long linkage to raise the saddle if you keep eating those breakfasts ! ;)

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    A Ducati by any chance Stuart lol.

You know it. And if its warm and dry tomorrow I may take it out for a quick blast.

Stuart

The standard one also had a needle bearing in one end. And a sleeve which you reuse in the new one邏
    The dogbones in my Aprilias used needle bearings. Far better than bushings. The only guys that complained were those who didn't give them the occasional regreasing and were amazed when they seized up.

Master
    Lovely classic Triumph on SC in case anyone hasnt seen it yet.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...0cc-Motorcycle

Anyone else found Freddie Dobbs' Youtube channel?

Does a lot of stuff on Harleys, Triumphs, Enfields etc, and I find his channel quite 'watchable'.

https://www.youtube.com/@FreddieDobbs

Sample vid:

Master
    What’s the equivalent of a guilty pleasure, when you know you probably shouldn’t want something but you still do?

https://www.wallpaper.com/transporta...tric-motorbike

Master
    You will need an extra extra long linkage to raise the saddle if you keep eating those breakfasts ! ;)
    It’s not always a fry up, lovely cafe here. https://www.eisteddfa-fisheries.com/cafe-cedron/. Just outside Criccieth. Also some great roads in the area.👍

Does a lot of stuff on Harleys, Triumphs, Enfields etc, and I find his channel quite 'watchable'.

Sample vid:

Been watching him for years. It’s probably my favourite YouTube channel.

Master
    Saw this at the horseshoe pass today. A rare beast indeed, basically a MotoGP bike with lights on it. The owner has 2 more at home.

Master

Norton 961 Street

This may be coming home with me this week if i can convince myself it wont fall to pieces.
    Anyone have any idea on relibilty as i understand it its not from Nortons finest era.
    It would be my first British bike. I love the looks and sound of it but after some rationality! Low miles at 450 or so but would definitely add to that.

Anything i should be looking out for?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waiteu2 View Post
    This may be coming home with me this week if i can convince myself it wont fall to pieces.
    Anyone have any idea on relibilty as i understand it its not from Nortons finest era.
    It would be my first British bike. I love the looks and sound of it but after some rationality! Low miles at 450 or so but would definitely add to that.

Im sure someone on here had a virtually identical bike to that for sale. He had it for sale for a long time too. I seem to remember Gyp rode one of these recently, however it might have been the face lifted one under Nortons new owners.

Master

Sample vid:
    I have been following him for quite a while, nice disarming style of presentation. Plus I think he actually owns more Jackets than Tony LTF on here, and thats going some ;)

Only joking T , I know you have more ;)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    What’s the equivalent of a guilty pleasure, when you know you probably shouldn’t want something but you still do?

https://www.wallpaper.com/transporta...tric-motorbike
    I used to think the vehicles in Tron were sci fi , but with bikes like this and a recent Rivian car I saw on holidays the future styling is here!

Work starts today...

Well, my exterior work starts today, and will include:

• New side gate
    • New fencing to front garden
    • Demolition of old slab and removal of two old sheds
    • Provision of new slab and electrics for garage (including 2 ground anchors)
    • Provision of path to patio
    • Conversion of existing patio steps to ramp
    • Provision/fixing of garage (including steel side door, opening window, guttering and downpipes)
    • Installation of electrics (consumer unit, 4 x double sockets and LED lighting)

I got three quotes (all from builders who seemed highly regarded on Rated People), and costs - excluding the garage, which is about £4.5k including delivery and fixing - ranged from £12k to £9.2k; I'm going with the cheapest, as he seems at least as proficient as the other two. Total costs for the garage and associated work alone will amount to £11.6k but I'm hoping it'll add a bit of value to the house (albeit it's going to be at the end of the garden, and won't provide storage for cars). Anyway, I went for 12'x18' in the end, and it'll look pretty much like this although the path to the patio is going to be narrower (about 4'wide, in fact, as I want to limit the loss of lawn)...

The garage is going up on 23rd May, and I'll be collecting my bike from storage as soon thereafter as I can. As you can imagine, it's very exciting!
    Last edited by learningtofly; 29th April 2024 at 11:53.

Well that’s going to be a four bike garage!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Well that’s going to be a four bike garage!
    Or more

I seem to remember Gyp rode one of these recently, however it might have been the face lifted one under Nortons new owners.
    I did - I rode one of the current generation. The one in the picture is an earlier Garner era bike.

Hang on until I get home from work and I'll share my thoughts

There was one for sale on here a few years back.

FSOT - Norton commando 961 cafe racer.
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Master
    Suns out today - wonder if I can still remember how to ride

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Ther garage is going up on 23rd May, and I'll be collecting my bike from storage as soon thereafter as I can. As you can imagine, it's very exciting!
    A purchase you'll never regret Tony, congrats! Just look at it as the cost of a decent bike that you never ride, a lot of us have at least one of those!

That's my dream bike! I've never seen one in the flesh nor ridden one but it is the one bike I would replace mine with in a heartbeat. I can't really explain why I just would. I did watch the Motorbike show with Henry Cole where they designed and built this to show to Garner who eventually did a limited run. It just seems to tick all of my boxes. Keep us posted on what you decide.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    The garage is going up on 23rd May, and I'll be collecting my bike from storage as soon thereafter as I can. As you can imagine, it's very exciting!
    Best thing ever Tony, really looking forward to seeing the progress and hearing just how much you love it. Having more space does bring its own first world problems though, I’m currently on three bikes, contemplating a fourth!

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    A purchase you'll never regret Tony, congrats! Just look at it as the cost of a decent bike that you never ride, a lot of us have at least one of those!
    Quote Originally Posted by Craizeehair View Post
    Best thing ever Tony, really looking forward to seeing the progress and hearing just how much you love it. Having more space does bring its own first world problems though, I’m currently on three bikes, contemplating a fourth!
    I’m sure I’ll have no builder’s remorse, and just fear the consequences the space might have!

Quote Originally Posted by skmark View Post
    That's my dream bike! I've never seen one in the flesh nor ridden one but it is the one bike I would replace mine with in a heartbeat. I can't really explain why I just would. I did watch the Motorbike show with Henry Cole where they designed and built this to show to Garner who eventually did a limited run. It just seems to tick all of my boxes. Keep us posted on what you decide.
    The bike maint guy near me was supposedly approached by Norton (or whoever was selling them) maybe 3yrs ago to try and get him to act as a Scottish repair/maintenance centre. He reckoned there were a load of issues with them.

I'd recommend a lot of research first (just like buying a certain era of Guzzi etc).

Great design - they got the retro/modern mix just right, though.

Master
    Well, the deals done and its now mine.
    Got a few miles under my belt this afternoon and its such a massive difference to what i've gotten used to.But in a good way.
    Reckon it'll take a while to get used to a different way of riding but the grins back on my face anyway.

Steering lock or lack of nearly caught me out a couple of times at low speed and also wanting to stall at low revs from cold.
    Looking forward to getting to know its quirks but loving it up to now and that's what matters.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    I did - I rode one of the current generation. The one in the picture is an earlier Garner era bike.

Hang on until I get home from work and I'll share my thoughts
    Thanks Gyp be interested to know what you think.
    This is one of the 50 made during the Garner era based on the MKII engine so may be not even as reliable as the current generation.
    I know this has been back to Stuart Bodycote who was the service manager who worked for Garner who has set up now servicing the Donnington made bikes.
    Its supposedly had various sensors changed to eliminate a few of the issues they sufffered from.

Fingers crossed!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by skmark View Post
    I never saw those episodes of the Motorbike show. I'll be tracking them down to watch this week but probably should've done before i bought the thing!
    Im not really bothered though because i just love the way it looks.

Well, the deals done and its now mine.
    Got a few miles under my belt this afternoon and its such a massive difference to what i've gotten used to.But in a good way.
    Reckon it'll take a while to get used to a different way of riding but the grins back on my face anyway.

Steering lock or lack of nearly caught me out a couple of times at low speed and also wanting to stall at low revs from cold.
    Looking forward to getting to know its quirks but loving it up to now and that's what matters.
    Love the looks of the bike
    Shame it took 'outsiders' to create such a great design.

Looks the bollocks!

Is there an aftermarket shield for the USD fork sliders?

You'll draw a crowd at bike meets, that's certain.

Enjoy!

Bike got whatever you call a service 4,000 miles after the 600 miles service. They seemed to think everything is fine. On Thursday I might get to go for a real ride, not just trudging up and down the A1079, of which I am now heartily sick. Last eight rides have been that eight times. Poor Dales will be wondering where I've got to.

Thanks Gyp be interested to know what you think.
    This is one of the 50 made during the Garner era based on the MKII engine so may be not even as reliable as the current generation.
    I know this has been back to Stuart Bodycote who was the service manager who worked for Garner who has set up now servicing the Donnington made bikes.
    Its supposedly had various sensors changed to eliminate a few of the issues they sufffered from.

Fingers crossed!
    Congratulations, it gorgeous.

It may have a few niggles (just imagine it’s a 40 year old, they all do) but I’m sure most, if not all, the issues have a fix by now.

It’s going to be a hell of a summer for you.